Monday, January 12, 2009

THIS DAY

This day has served me well, I make no claim To having been in Fortune's company, And what is Fortune but a fickle dame, A warm mirage, a dream- stiffed effigy? If I must rate my hours in terms of gold, Then Time's a cheat and I am a beggar still; But days cannot be bought, nor can I hold A single minute to release at will. This day has been my friend, and like a friend Has shared with me its joys and heartaches, too. Oh, there were bitter moments hard to spend. While others fled, unspent, as sweets ones do. Each moment has its little life to live - A smile, a frown, a word, a dream, a thought. And every magic hour has power to give Rewards or penalties for each deed wrought. But now the glad stars fill the evening skies, Shifting the daylight hours to other scenes, And I am left to ponder on the "why", The "ifs" and sorceries of "might-have beens" In spite of all tomorrows comes to keep Me toiling in the same old tiresome way, But first I'll find in prayer and restful sleep The songs and hopes that brought me through this day. THE TORONTO DAILY STAR. DON says: This article was written in a very old fashioned way. Upon reading and studying it I find a lot of truths, each individual and different to the person reading it. I have read it over and over, and find new nuances that I did not formerly see. You might ask why is this relevant to alcoholism - I think alcoholism has many levels, one of which is how each individual handles living. After all, as much as we have to abstain from alcohol, we must ponder on why we took this path. We must look into our souls and find what it is that so grieviously affects us, causing us to go off the rails. Just simply stopping alcohol consumption is not enough. We must find the core cause in our psyche, and find a way to cleanse and heal ourselves.

No comments: