Monday, January 12, 2009

HOW IT WORKS

This poem/story was written by a recovered alcoholic in the first few months of her therapy.

In each of you, I see a friend - One whose friendship knows no end, And so, just for today, I'll try to be to others - what you are to me.

You stopped, and turned, and took me by the hand, And steadied me - til I could stand, And then, until I walked alone - Let go my fingers, one by one.

You did not say to me, "do this", "be thus", You said, quite simply, "walk with us" I tried - and when I lifted up my eyes, could see the same vision which had made you free. We walk together now - a pleasant band, which waits for me, if I should fill my hand With the trembling fingers of one, whose spirit must also break - or bend, and teach them softly, what it means to have - and be - a friend.

Just for today I will let others see What each of you has done for me.
ANONYMOUS

DON says: Inspirational! Written by a person recovering from alcohol addiction. How true it is to have wonderful friends, who do not judge but lend a helping hand. It is for you and I to follow in their footsteps

No comments: