Monday, January 12, 2009

ONE STEP BEYOND

I look back to those halcyon days I wandered in a drunken haze, oblivious to the world of harm. A tenant for the funny farm. And then I found this happy home. A place from which I need not roam. A nurse to bring a pill or two. A friendly word when I was blue. No job had I to make me tired. My services just weren't required No problems with my marital state The Family Court would have to wait.

Mere money didn't bother me, I left that to H.F.C. Cirrhosis didn't make me quake, my liver was in perfect shape. But then into this haven blessed, there came the physicians and the rest. Psychiatry to read my brain, and try to prove that I was sane. Psychology to dig and probe, and therapists of every mode, to chorus in a loud refrain that I could never drink again.

I stared for days at video tape, that clearly outlined what my fate would be, if in a spot I find I need a drink to help unwind. I learned to eat 3 meals a day, and slumber some of night away, and even exercise a bit , When there was no way out of it, I sat in group and talked of life of other people's trials and strife. It came as quite a shock to find Their problems seemed as bad as mine! A Doctor with chalk and chart explained addiction from its start, while another Doctor with expertise expanded his philosophies.

Gradually as time went by It slowly dawned - the reason why! It seems my history was such I might have, maybe, drank too much! With this new thought now firm in mind, a brand new life I sought to find, And bubbling now with "Joi de vive" I packed my pills and took my leave. Alas, despite sobriety my woes and worries stayed with me. To point of fact, from time to time they seemed to grow and not decline.

My job was most depressing still, the public seemed to wish me ill. My wife, although she wished me well still thought I was destined for Hell. My creditors still lay in wait I was not master of my fate. And while I had a clearer head, some days I should have stayed in bed. But as the months have drifted past I've found some peace of mind at last.

Depressions don't stay quite as long, and tensions felt are sooner gone. There are days I never think That I would like to take a drink. And each morn I take the pill (antabuse) I know "that day" I never will. I'd like to use a famous quote to close this on a brilliant note. There's no easy way, you have to work it day by day. If you should think your case is rare and you can handle booze with care, Just tell your doctor in advance. With luck, you will get a second chance! But there is still no guarantee that there's another chance for me.

I think I'll wait another day before I throw this chance away.
ANONYMOUS

A Donwood victory for this ma!

DON says: I knew this man well, and when he joined I am sure he felt that this would be his last chance, as did I when I quit drinking. It can be done! He did it, SO CAN YOU!

No comments: