Monday, January 12, 2009

THE DEADLY FRIEND

He crawls out of bed feeling half dead, something's exploding inside his head,

Nailed a Blue 'fore his feet hit the floor', He's trying to forget the good times before. He saw his face in the window of time. Broken dreams and promises clouding his mind, How did it start, and where will it end, But quickly he forgets and turns to his friend.

At work the same faces, the same icy stares, All with their problems; seems nobody cares, He forgets how he feels; there is a job to be done, Knowing eight hours later he'll be back on the run.

The crowded bars bring him instant relief, He's back with his friend, drowning his grief, A moment of time to forget what he's done, Then back to his room to wait for the sun.

He opens his door and wants to turn back, Waiting for heartache and pain to att
ack, The deafening silence, his friend by his side. He drifts off to sleep like the outgoing tide.

ANONYMOUS

DON says: This piece really affected me greatly. I hearkened back to when I was in the same position, drinking constantly, living, working, waiting for the time to come to get back to drinking, the horror of waking in the morning, wondering where I had left my car, was there any scrapes on the fenders, blood? I felt it all coming back in the pit of my stomache. Thank GOD I got out of that nightmare. It has been 39 years of total abstinence but I still feel sick when I remember. All the mental and physical agony was worth it to break free.

No comments: