Saturday, January 17, 2009

DEAR GROUP

Don't leave me,
Don't forget me,
Don't ignore me.

That's why I'm here - everyone rejected me,
except my killer friend, the bottle.

You know, group, I'm out here, and I need
you, and I need you to need me. I may not
say it, look it, or act it, but it is hell to be
left alone.

If you could only hear my silent plea!
I know you have your own recovery
problems and I don't really want to bother
you with mine, but if you could spare one
moment to tell me you care, that I am an
asset to the group,
To your recovery,
To somebody.

You would light the light which would
kindle the glimmer of hope that I might
someday be whole again.

I have looked at each of you, and I have
longed to put my arm around you, to
comfort you.

To be somebody if only for a moment, but
alas, I am not far enough along in my
recovery to be that secure, but please,
don't forsake me, wait for me,
I'm coming.

ANONYMOUS

DON SAYS:

I see and feel the pain of this recovering addict. He or she wrote this anonymously to me for the Donwood newsletter back in the 70's, and I never did find out who they were. I only hope that they found what they were looking for, and have found the peace they so desperately needed.

No comments: