Tuesday, January 13, 2009

LIFE GROWTH - WRITTEN JULY, 1972

I don't know about you but I'm getting awfully sick of beer commercials. Just because I quit drinking I'm not against the moderate use of alcohol, and it has its place, however, must we put up with the constant day in and day out barrage of beer commercials, such as the "barley sandwich" and "Molson Golden's" promise of a beautiful world where everyone is pretty and they sing and dance all day!

Once or twice should be sufficient, instead of the twenty or thirty times in a day that we are exposed to this garbage. This insidious advertising, constantly blared out at the public from radio, television and the newspapers, also makes it very difficult, sometimes impossible, for a recovering alcoholic to stay on the straight and narrow.

He is constantly reminded that alcohol is beautiful and there is nothing really wrong with it since it is a very socially acceptable drug, which will provide a soothing and beneficial effect to all that partake of it.

I don't think anything can be done about this advertising since it comes from a very influential and wealthy industry, which is supported by a very tax income conscious government. Now you know how it bothers,me and probably countless others, so it may not be so bad the next time you hear it. Try this for a rough day recently!

On my way to work on a country road, I noticed a car pull over to the side of the road and three obviously plastered individuals fall out and start to drink some cold beer. After a tight feeling in my gut, and wishing I were with them, I progressed to work where I interviewed several persons who had been niciceably partaking of the grape and who smelled like breweries.

Later in the day a customer who works for a wine company came in and gave a bottle of their best. When I got home and shared a getting home coffee with my wife, another beer commercial on the radio! That was a good day to get through and I hope they aren't all the sme in the future.

DON FELSTEAD

DON says: It is now 2008, and I will say there is a lot less advertising of booze, and it is no longer fashionable to pull over to the side of the road to partake of a drink. Probably someone will call the cops and put a stop to it. Maybe some jail time. How times change, and for the better. It is 40 years since my last drink so alcohol advertising doesn't bother me much. Attitudes regarding drinking have changed dramatically, and hopefully we can get somewhere in the understanding of the problems alcoholic addicts face every day. God bless them, and help them get out of that awful grip.

No comments: