Tuesday, January 13, 2009

TWO YEARS INTO MY SOBRIETY

How time flies!

Two years ago in May, 1969, I lurched into Donwood with an alcohol-induced grin on my face and a devil-may-care attitude in my manner, though God knows I was scared deep down inside.

I was given tests, poked, analized, dried out, and exposed to an educational programme to show me what the disease of alcoholism is all about, how it affected me and others, and more importantly, how to combat it and live a normal life.

After a month in the hospital, a six month continuing therapy follow programme was put in place, wherein I attended meetings once a week at the Donwood. Further education was mixed with discussions, and socializing with my fellow graduates.

During the next period of the two year programme I continued to adjust to a normal life without alcohol, although during that period I had some bad times and had to come back to the Donwood medical staff for medication and advice on how to cope with my ups and downs.

Now, at the end of two years I look back and say, in spite of the very real and difficult adjustments I had to make, these have been the happiest two years of my life! For the first time I have faced life, and the fears that have always been there. I faced them head on, without the sedation of alcohol.

It is a good life, for I can now enjoy my wife and children, a morning without a hangover, a day without the shakes, and so on.

This success for me could not have been accomplished without the two following things: 1. The support of the Donwood staff, with a complete change of life style, and 2. the support of my wife, Diane. She has stuck with me through thick and thin, and I thank her most heartedly.

I am writing this in the hope that those who are just starting out, or perhaps somewhere along this two-year path, will see that it can be done, if they want it badly enough. I have talked to people who have had slips, and the first question I have asked them is "Did you enjoy it?", and I have never received an affirmative reply, in fact it was a most unpleasant experience.

This has helped me to keep sober because I invariably ask my self "If there is no enjoyment involved, why the Hell drink?". A disturbing thing to me is the fact that all we ever hear about are the people who have had the slips, but what about the majority? The quiet ones who leave the Donwood and resume their lives without fanfare, and live a sober and contented life without alcohol.

The fact that there are so many out there that are happy and contented is a living testimonial for the success of Donwood, and its founder and President Dr. Bell.

REMEMBER you can quit drinking and enjoy life, if you really want to.

DON FELSTEAD

DON says, I wrote this article in June of 1971. It is interesting to look back and see the record of my feelings during that time.

No comments: