Monday, January 12, 2009

MYSELF

I have to live with myself, and so I want to be fit for myself to know, I want to be able, as days go by, Always to look myself straight in the eye; I don't want to stand, with the setting sun, And hate myself for things I have done.

I don't want to keep on a closet shelf A lot of secrets about myself, And fool myself, as I come and go, Into thinking that nobody else will know The kind of man I really am; I don't want to dress myself in shame

I want to go out with my head erect, I want to deserve all men's respect; But here in the struggle for fame and self I want to be able to like myself. I don't want to look at myself and know That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show.

I can never hide myself from me; I see what others may never see; I know what others may never know, I can never fool myself, and so, Whatever happens, I want to be Self-respecting and conscience free.

EDGAR A. GUEST

Don says; Of course Guest was a noted poet. I don't know whether he had an alcohol addiction, but I do know that he was very human as we all are. He had the quality of examining himself, and though confessing to some small character problems, was quite open about becoming a better human being,

No comments: