Tuesday, July 8, 2008


MY PERSONAL CONTACT WITH DR. BIRTCH
Before you go on to read Dr. Birtch's writings, I wish to relate my personal contact with him. Over the period of several years, as editor of the Donwood Newsletter I had several discussions with the good doctor, in fact our personalities clashed. Mainly it was my fault. It is true that I sometimes hounded him for his monthly writing, so much that he was quite upset with me.Once I asked his advice. My wife and I were hosting a cocktail party where there was going to be lots of liquor, beer and wine. What did he recommend? I was hoping that he would recommend one of two things: 1. Cancel the party, or 2. Stay away somewhere safe until the party was over.He recommended that I stay at the party and that I would be strong enough to get through it. Frankly I was scared! It had only been a few weeks since I had left the hospital, and was feeling peckish. However, I stayed, weathered the storm of addiction and longing for a drink, all the while cursing him in my mind for pushing me in this direction. Only later did I realize that he quite sagely advise me to face up to my fear, get over it, and get on with life.Now I know he was right, and I wish he was around so I could tell him how much I now appreciate him and I would thank him for 39 years of sobriety. I could not have done it without him or the Donwood.Writing this blog, and examining Dr. Birtch's writings, I have come to the realization that he was a master genius, not only in his writing, but his life. His words are golden and I hope that a great many other recovering addicts read his articles.

No comments: