Friday, February 13, 2009

ANTABUSE

In one of my recent editorials it was mentioned that I still suffered, even after seven years of sobriety, periodic periods of craving for alcohol, although they are sometimes spaced months apart now. In reply to this editorial I have heard from a few people who quite strongly declare that they have had no feelings of desire for alcohol whatsoever.

This is quite commendable, and I don't expect everyone to have the same symptoms and problems as I, however it is expected that most will have these kinds of feeling, albeit to varying degrees in each individual.

It is there! An honest, above board, gut feeling desire for alcohol, and its effects. Though it may not dominate my life, nontheless it comes and goes, more commonly at first, and then diminishing as time goes on. I must therefore, be constantly be on the lookout for one of these desires emerging. How else can I cope with this tremendous desire to drink unless I am completely honest with myself? It is a healthy emotion to admit that the problem exists, and that these feelings may return for the rest of my life. How can I deal with it if it is not recognizable?

Some have said that they have found the answer, and solace with Alcoholics Anonymous, and/or Christ. My reply is that is wonderful.

Each one for his own way of doing things. However, I do say, for me, and perhaps others that it is good idea to use antabuse as a safety valve.

Quoted following is an article on antabuse by Mary Epp, Reg. N, formerly with the Donwood, who says it quite clearly:

"Are you thinking of stopping Antabuse or Temposil? After all, (you may think), I've been taking it for three months now and I haven't even wanted a drink, but, wait a minute....Isn't it possible that the reason you didn't want a drink was because you knew you couldn't have one? You may have been conditioning yourself subconsciously. Perhaps the real reason you want to stop taking Antabuse or Temposil is because subconsciously you want to return to drinking.

Over and over again, people who have relapsed have told us they didn't really know why they stopped the chemical protection, but they freely admit they started drinking two weeks later.

Of course, nothing is going to stop you from drinking if you don't want to stop.

Before discontinuing your protection, discuss it with a staff member at Donwood. In this way, maybe you can catch your subconscious habits working against y0our desire for a new way of living".

DON FELSTEAD

No comments: